Ramblings of an inquisitive mind, just trying to find my way around, and be honest with myself.
Friday, September 12, 2008
My blind spot.
I've read here that there is a train of thought in psychology that believes everyone has a blind spot, that area where they cannot see something about themselves…something many others probably can see fairly easily. So what is my blind spot? I get defensive about being passive aggressive like my mother sometimes, is that it? Maybe that the arrogance I dislike in others, is part of me. When I read a book about our darker sides, it said that what we get irritated by in others, is a quality we repress in ourselves. Jung called it our Shadow side. It is the side we think we shouldn't show other people. Once we acknowledge that we also possess that quality we are less triggered by it in others. It is only when we are deluding ourselves that we don't have this quality, that we get emotionally connected to someone else exhibiting it. We are usually so good at repressing that trait that we cannot believe that we have it at all. So maybe this is our blind spot? Or maybe a blind spot isn't always a fault. Feel free to fill me in if you work it out. I can see now that some of the actions I was angry about in my previous post, are things I would repress in myself. Maybe being a little aggressive and cocky sometimes could be of benefit in my life. Especially if by my denying that part of myself, I am charging my reaction to those sorts of people in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was floored the first time my analyst told me about the Golden Shadow...when we have trouble seeing a good part of ourselves. Wow, eh?
ReplyDeleteI REALLY don't think your passive aggressive. At all. Maybe though just because I know you well? It's pretty funny, I'm sitting here trying to think of your shadow that your not sure of, and I can't think of one. I can think of one for EVERYONE else I know, including me I think. Strange..
ReplyDelete