Thursday, September 4, 2008

Is the universe trying to tell me something?

I have noticed a bit of synchronicity with some of the messages I seem to be getting lately. Maybe I am reading into it or only noticing these because they somehow resonate with something in my life at the moment. It started I guess with this quote, which came from an email I receive regularly from Neale Donald Walsch and his website.

just when it looks like life is falling apart, it may

be falling together for the first time.

I have learned to trust the process of life, and not so

much the outcome. Destinations have not nearly as

much value as journeys.

So maybe you should let things fall apart at this

juncture if that's what's happening. Don't hang on so

tenaciously. The nice thing about things falling apart is

that you can pick up only the pieces that you want...

I get a few of these emails, but I decided to send this one forward to a like-minded friend. It just stood out to me as the one I should send. However I felt odd sending it because her life was going really well, not falling apart at all. I had also made a comment to her the same day, that working for someone else, to gain a sense of security was a false security. In doing so you place your income security in someone elses hands, who can take it away at any time. The coincidence was that the next time I saw her, our boss let her know her position was being replaced! Of course this is a stressful and hurtful thing for her, but I straight away thought of this quote again and how apt it was. The universe had given her an opportunity, to shed a part of her life that wasn't part of the big plan and move on to the right path. It was time to trust. Then, on a blog I had started reading as a result of Wedding Planning conversations with this friend I read this......
Earlier this month, I, like so many others, received noticed that I was being let go from my corporate finance job. The phrase "let go" could not be any more appropriate. With the layoff came a bolt of freedom that jolted me to my feet again. As a result, I've decided to pursue writing full time.
Another message of how one door closing always means another door opening, or a new beginning. And it's true! My friend has also been offered a job, that is so much more in tune with her and her situation. Even if this is not the dream job she is hoping, we still remember it's another step forward and another step in the journey, not the final destination. And then, I found this quote in a blog this morning
The word comfort might sound… well… comforting. But too much comfort for too long is not a good thing. I encourage you to view comfort not as an accomplishment but rather as a state of decline. If you are too comfortable, you’re coasting downhill. You’re slowly dying on the inside, while something inside you longs to experience passion and excitement once again.
Which may not immediately seem to be connected, but speaks to me about the place we get to just before the universe gives us that big kick in the bum that feels like the world is falling apart.

So what is the message for me? I think I get to a phase in my career where I feel I have reached my peak in that location, and that I need something else in order to grow. I always get scared that I'm not ready for the next leap because the current situation is familiar and comfortable. Eventually something happens that forces my decision and it scares the crap out of me. My husband is usually the one reminding me that I always doubt myself and then always surprise myself. I think that maybe at my work I have reached the coasting point, where I have no higher goal to reach within that framework. I can either remain comfortable or push myself to something new. I do feel passion and excitement when I talk about researching ,or journalism, or blogging. Being able to share my ideas and have people connect and get it. If I don't do something about it on my own, (which I feel I am doing by at least writing this blog) I feel the universe will eventually give me one of those nudges, that may feel like my current life falling apart. I will have to remember to trust that this is only so I can choose which pieces to keep. I also had an idea that maybe brides were a means to an end to help me transition from one career to another. I have received a lot more confidence in this area, after being pushed to extend my comfort zone with brides in my current salon. So I guess it's time to start resetting my goals, and trust that I'm already on the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment