Now I am married. So obviously I like men, just not that many of them. I was actually thinking originally about male bosses. I don't interact very well with them. My first Area Manager, when I was an apprentice hairdresser, commented that I would always hide in the back room cleaning dishes when he turned up. This is still my tactic over 10 years later, stay busy, blend in, avoid contact. Even before that at McDonalds, the male bosses scared the crap out of me. I never had a male school teacher through primary school, except for the music and p.e. teachers, and they weren't scary. I think my only male teachers ever were grade 8 english, and science. I find men in general intimidating, as in they try to coerce you by scaring you into submission. Booming male voices can make me cry if they are directed at me, headmasters voices, you know the ones? I swear I was good all through school so I wouldn't have to go to the office and see the headmaster. My dad is master of the booming voice, and the intention is to make you wither. There is threat in that voice. I know it's not just men, there are some women that use intimidation to get their way also. I don't like them either.
My husband doesn't intimidate me, and I don't ever think I have dated someone who does, in fact I don't think I realized until now this was one of the most important parts of my selection criteria. I have never chosen typically manly men. My husband doesn't watch or play sport, and has never yelled at me. (Except while moving furniture together, which I will no longer do) He doesn't come across as overly cocky, and doesn't seem to mind me calling him the housewife. The cocky thing is a part of the male dislike too. I have always reacted against an arrogant male. If he thinks he knows enough to tell me what I am going to do, I'll disagree, out of principle almost. I instantly dismissed an American who pursued me once when he made the assumption that I would want to go out with him, and sent a cab to pick me up with out asking me. Nuh-uh. Big manly physiques don't do it for me. No footy heads, weightlifters or body builders. I like lean, preppy, geeky, not very manly. Boy am I lucky to be born in a country and generation that doesn't require me to honour and obey a man! And I am lucky to be married, since any man I would consider, probably wouldn't be cocky enough to ask me out. So I'd better appreciate that I have a man that doesn't intimidate me, knows me so well, and still wants to hang around with me after all these years,because things would be slim pickings on the single scene for a girl like me.
No comments:
Post a Comment