Ramblings of an inquisitive mind, just trying to find my way around, and be honest with myself.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Childs play.
The Memento book asks"what was my favorite childhood toy?". I couldn't think of one so I thought I would just start writing and see what comes out. I remember having barbies, like most little girls. I used to sit in my room for hours acting out adult-like scenarios with them. Or what I thought adults got up to. I remember a few dolls that stood out. Probably the one I missed most after losing it was my Jemima doll that my Mum made. She was made of canvas, with woolen hair and stitched on face. The kids tv show had a Jemima doll just like her that Mum must have used the pattern for. I lost her after my sister was born, I think once we were sharing a room, so I might have been about 6. I was never convinced that I had left her at the shops as my Mum said, and looked for her for ages. Mum started making another, for my younger sister. It never got finished, but I used to check on it from time to time, hoping it would be done. I later chose another canvas doll at a handmade stall that my Mum secretly put away for Christmas. I remember my Dad making a doll house for me. He pretended it was shelves while he made it. I had a pretend cabbage patch doll, and a doll that smelled like honey, with rollerskates. I loved my hand-me-down rollerskates. We used to skate around the local schools lunch area, with a group that was organized for every Saturday. I never really took toys to bed. I remember trying! I always ended up throwing them out, as soon as I fell asleep. I envied my baby sisters soft toys, but I was too old for them. My trampoline! Probably my favorite toy! Does that count as a toy? Hours of entertainment and contemplation. It is probably because of this that I had my husband lay-by the biggest trampoline that Target has. The children will get it for Christmas. I can't wait. Despite being one of four, I spent a lot of my time on my own. I would Climb trees, and sit up there all day. Or play in the empty block next door when it was full of clover and bees. Mostly I would read books. My aunt Helen would always buy books for me for gifts, and I loved absorbing myself in a story. I remember wanting to pass this love on to my little sister, but it never really had the same effect for her. I had an adult library pass from early school age so I could get more books at once, and when I was old enough to walk alone, I would make a couple of trips a month to the library, with my bag full of books. I did this till I moved out of home. I really appreciate that my Mum made the effort to get me to the library regularly. I remember asking to go quite a lot. Now I order my books online and get my husband to pick them up from the library. So I guess nothing's changed much since I was a child.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a blessing to have an Aunt Helen in your life to fill it with books. I also spent many childhood hours under a tree or up in a tree--quite often with a book but sometimes just daydreaming. I had a vacant lot where I played alone, too. But it had ladybugs, not bees. There was also a clover patch at school and I caught the bees the way an adult had once taught me. He said they would never sting in the dark (in my cupped hands) and they never did. I let them go again, of course!
ReplyDelete