Thursday, August 13, 2009

win/win?

A few years ago D and I ordered a self improvement course called effort free life. One of the theories in it was that there is no better or worse. All options have equal number of advantages and disadvantages. If you don't see it that way then you are allowing yourself to see things through rose coloured glasses or being overly negative. I found this to be true in practice. So you can prefer one thing, but either outcome would come with it's own pitfalls. I agree with it but I don't like it. I wish there was one out and out winner in every decision. This wasn't a good discovery for someone who is indecisive as it is. After my post yesterday, I realized I can see benefits to living with my husband again. I can also see benefits to staying where I am. I am really looking forward to spending summer in this place. I want the kids to be able to ride their bikes down to the esplanade beach and go for a swim in the afternoons after school, and on the holidays. But the kids would also like to not have to have stuff in different houses all the time, and be with their cats. This house is sunny and spacious and close to the water, but I can't have a boat here, and no trampoline. This house has very little to clutter, but when I was home more I used to be able to keep our old house tidy. This house has my sister nearby, but I still usually drive to her house. The rent here is cheap, but if we lived together I could probably cut my hours or take a job with less pay. I like not having to maintain lawns and have rubbish in the garden, but I would like to have a small garden to plant pumpkin seeds. It's nice to have someone to cook for, but it's also nice not to have to cook for anyone some nights. It would be nice to have someone to cuddle up to, but it's also nice to be able to read or sit on the internet without feeling like I'm being rude or a bad parent. Are you starting to see the dilemma? Usually when faced with two equal options I choose not to choose, and just wait to see what comes about on its own, or stick with the devil you know. But all options are equal!

No comments:

Post a Comment