Monday, October 27, 2008

I'll meet you on your turf

I have decided to apply personality type to my relationships. I can research the challenges, and apply my analytical skill to forming solutions. I am going to use behavioural profiling, to approach my husband more on his terms. We agreed, after our discussion, that our lives have been heading along different paths. We would both like to see them converge, but I need a plan of action, to ensure that it really happens. Counselling is not his thing, that's more me. I'd like to learn to communicate better, as I realise that we think about things differently.
I read an article, where a guy asked his wife on valentines day, what he could do to demonstrate his love. She replied"Just tell me!", But he thought he showed her better by all the things he did for her. The next year he asked again, and she said the same thing, "I need to hear you say it". He realised that they both required different things to feel loved. He was viewing her needs through his own framework.
I know my husband is a Driver type, but I am going to assess a little more with the Myers-Briggs mode,l and get to know how he works a little better, then hopefully, meet him on his turf every now and then.

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I used behavioral profiling techniques to get to the bottom of a few things too - we used OpenProfiler http://apps.facebook.com/openprofiler (you need to be logged in to use it). Quite good, I recommend it!
    Howard

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to try to learn the other's language. Though I admit, my partner meets me more than halfway most of the time. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete