Sunday, October 5, 2008

I can write better

Random connections through the web led me to this post about Better. This and a few other things of late have got me thinking about the value of what I write. Do I have anything of value to tell anyone? And also is what I am reading serving me well? This is part of the reason for starting my other blog about hair. I may actually have some information that is of benefit to someone. I can then think about how effectively I can deliver that message. Thinking of any career options, is also thinking about what I can offer, that someone else will find of value, not just what will I find fun.
In a CWG email I was told "Don't wait until you're an expert, start to share it now." and that is what I have been doing. I figured, if I start to write, then I can learn how to do it well enough, to give some value to people for reading what I write. Even as I write, I know this is the stream of consious crap that he is talking about, but it is a start.
Kikipotomus mentions, in one of her early posts, a book she read that taught her about letting the story unfold instead of being the voiceover that tells the story at you. I love that in Narnia, Lewis doesn't always hand the concept to you on a platter. He credits you with the intelligence to work it out. I find a lot of my favourite stories are the ones that don't tell you what to think, but build the trail of events that led them to their conclusions. I think a few creative writing exercises would be good to play with.

1 comment:

  1. Karyn, Would you like me to send you that book now that I'm done with it? I think it's called Writing Tools or a Writer's Tools, something like that.

    ReplyDelete