Ramblings of an inquisitive mind, just trying to find my way around, and be honest with myself.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Get behind me Satan
On the train to work yesterday I was musing on how the shadow, as a concept, may have been written in the bible. I keep coming back to the 40 days and nights that Jesus spent in the Desert. From what I have learned from historians, trying to place the bible in context, Jesus spent some time with the Nazarenes, who seemed to have a Gnostic version of Judaism. Their beliefs as seen in some of the dead sea scrolls included concepts of duality, and a mystical rather than fundamentalist view. The quote where Jesus says "Get thee behind me satan, you are a stumbling block to me." after he has been tempted to test his power, makes me think of the duality of the ego mind. I have come to think of Satan, and sin, as the egoic mind, which seeks to separate us from our boundless self, which the bible would call God. Thus in the beginning, Satan/ego filled our heads with thoughts of good and evil, which separated us from Edun(the place of oneness with all) and distanced us from God. This made our lives a struggle. Jesus was born and had an experience of oneness, as well as cognitive study to help him understand the mystical teachings. He spent time in contemplation out in the desert and found all sorts of stumbling blocks coming up in his mind. He controlled this egoic thought by recognising it for what it was, and denying it. "Get behind me Satan." He said this also to one of his disciples, who was thinking in the minds of men not in the thoughts of God. In other words thinking of the I, as human form not boundless life. I remember reading somewhere, that in the original transcripts the Hebrew word used in this context was synonymous with stumbling block, and slightly different to the word used for Satan elsewhere. Must explore this further but for now I have to run to catch the train again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've had similar thoughts about the Satan metaphor since getting into ego work / Shadow work / Power of Now and Buddhism these past months.
ReplyDelete