I was just reading Kikipotomus's latest post. In it she mentions how our brain tries to see patterns in random things in order to make sense of it. Bill Harris, has often said "The map is not the territory" The analogy is, that when we want to go somewhere, we use a map to make sure we are making the right turns to get to our destination, but obviously the place we want to get to is not the little picture on the map. We want to get to the real place. Also the map can be incorrect or incomplete, but we can change the map. The reality will still be the same. Our mind relates to the map. Through our experiences we start to make connections that allow us to make decisions about wether we are going about it the right way. We learn you have to behave a certain way to get certain results, and so this becomes our pattern for how we behave in certain situations. His point was that if those patterns no longer get the results we are after, then we just need a new map. The map is not the territory! It is just the rules by which we get there.
I agree with all that. The bit I sometimes worry about though, is that I know our brain tries to make sense of chaos. That is it's job, to create the map, learn how things work. What if my ideas of synchronicity, intuition, spirituality, are all just ways my mind tries to create order? If we want to see a pattern in something, our brain works out a way to do it. All my so-called experiences could be projections of my mind creating order out of randomness. See... this is why I could never get into religion. Nothing is conclusive. I'm sure I could make the bible say anything I wanted to, and indeed many people in the past have twisted in to serve their own end. So is the message I get from it, and many other mystical texts, really what I think it is?
My solution is to look at not if the map is correct or not, but does it currently serve my purpose? Maybe there is no universal spirit, maybe there is no synchronicity, but believing it gives me a sense of peace. It helps me find my way, and it makes me more optimistic. By believing that everything is as it should be, my mind finds ways to perceive that it is. That sounds alright to me. Delusional and happy, is still happy anyway you look at it. I realise that this makes me no better than anyone else who creates their reality around them to suit theirown desires, but that fits my theory of oneness, and all people containing every facet of humanity. See there goes my mind again making connections from chaos.
I had the same thought when I was reading about my mind imposing patterns on random occurrences...whether synchronicity is imagined. What a rude thought to have crash down upon my former idea about the world. I'm still thinking about it.
ReplyDelete