Thursday, September 24, 2009

Not fun, but rewarding.

Someone told D that she had been working with special needs kids for 15 years and it was a terrible job, not very fun at all. I didn't imagine it would be fun, but rewarding yes. I thought of explaining to him this way. What if all the dogs that came into work were badly treated and badly trained. The easy option would be to give up on those dogs. A lot of people would think that rehabilitating those dogs would be a crap job and no fun. But D would find so much reward in getting those dogs better and back with families. That's how I feel about working with Autistic kids. Their parents are often at wits end not knowing how to connect with their children. What if I can help them look at their parents and interact? Maybe make friends one day? The breakthrough moments are what make it worthwhile. I hope I could be one of the people strong enough to make a difference in their life, despite the hardships. To be able to make more of a contribution than giving people nice hair. (Not working Christmas eve would be a bonus too.) I told my manager that I sent the emails out. And that I listed her as a reference. Luckily she wants to get out and start her own business too so she didn't mind at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment