Holy shit, I just emailed out three different applications to begin working in ABA therapy. One for volunteer work and the other two for advice and training to find work. I decided to stop procrastinating and just do it already. This is a version of what I sent to each,
Thank you for taking the time to read my resume. I’m Karyn and I would love the chance to work as an ABA therapist. This is a new direction for me and I would not expect a family to take me on with my current experience. I would like to know, what training I should undertake to help secure a position in this field?
I have spoken to clients of mine, who work with or have, children with Autism and Aspergers. One of my young clients has aspergers. I believe I can empathize with these children. I love the social aspect of my work with clients, but also value my inner world. I think I would be able to help children, giving them tools to relate more to their outer world. In a book I read some years ago, Luke Jackson spoke of not wanting to be “fixed”, just wanting to feel more in control of his aspergers. I would like to assist a child to be able to manage their behavior, to be less frustrated.
Ever since reading the book “Dibs – In search of self” for Social Science class, I have been fascinated with Psychology, behavior and development. My first choice was to study psychology, but ended up studying my second choice, Bachelor of Education, for 6 months at Uni. I enjoyed spending a week in a multi-age classroom, however I would not have been satisfied with a typical classroom setting. The class teachers did not have the luxury I had, of focused time with each student. I left uni, and eventually pursued a career in Hairdressing.
I have been very successful in my hairdressing career, and have had two children, but I still believe that I should be working in a field that allows me to pursue my interest in human behavior. I also believe I have more to offer to the community than cutting hair.
Spending time with my own children, and my nieces and nephews, I have a good understanding of developmental norms. I also assist in a grade 1 classroom as a volunteer, which exposes me to the variations within one age group. I find it especially rewarding to see improvement in the children who have difficulties in keeping up with the rest of the class. I try to be patient and caring with them, but also consistent in my expectations of them.
I have often been told I am a patient teacher, and prefer when training, to work one-o -one. I am able to explain new things in a familiar way, and enjoy taking on a mentoring role. I also learn a lot myself by teaching others. It is in my nature to be analytical. I enjoy making observations and connections between different theories and concepts. I believe this will be an asset in ABA, where this will assist me to make the connections required to best help each child.
I believe this is the ideal role for me to undertake at this time in my life, combining my genuine desire to help people, with my natural talent for analysis and mentoring. However I am aware of the difficulty and also the responsibility involved, which is why I am hoping to gain some first-hand experience and training. Thank you again for your time. I look forward to any advice or assistance you may be able to offer me .
I changed it a little to suit each location. Now I just have to sit back and hope for some feedback. Move forward fearlessly. It was actually quite scary to hit the send button each time, but I feel good now having done it.
No comments:
Post a Comment