Am reading a book about Creative Therapies for children with Autism, ADD and Aspergers. Mostly to expand my knowledge about the children I would like to be working with. I remember thinking I could relate to certain Autistic behaviours. The focus on their internal world, sensitivity to noises and the rocking as a self comfort thing. I was surprised though, to find that I could relate to so much of the behaviours of ADD. Not the hyperactivity of ADHD but...
They lose school supplies, forget things and their rooms are usually a disaster... almost every child with ADD is unorganized and her room is cluttered, which doesn't bother her at all. The ability to multitask seems to be typical of children with ADD, their minds are constantly at work, and everything interests them. Insatiable Questioning.
I got the award on grade 5 school camp for most inquisitive, because I asked the teachers questions the whole time.
It isn't surprising that they're scolded for daydreaming in class when they are inwardly focused on things they feel are important and fascinating.
I regularly got thrown out of Legal Studies for playing dots and dashes, I thought she was boring and I passed without paying attention to her anyway. My English teacher allowed me to just read whatever I wanted. I used to draw fairies at the top of each of my Maths book pages but still did really well, and did better in the abstract part, b than part a. I ALWAYS got in trouble for talking and distracting others during class. It was on every report. I had messy handwriting because I always rushed my work. I often forgot to do homework, or pack my books for the next day. Somedays I had to borrow a pen and paper just to get through the day. I'm pretty sure I didn't complete all my art assignments.
ADD kids can focus on anything they feel is important. Easily distracted, forgetful. I still interrupt others sometimes as I'm impatient, I used to tug on peoples clothes until they acknowledged me. I'm not that good at just sitting without doing something, I can't even sunbake unless I have a great book to keep my there, and I still fidget or rock or tap my feet while I read. I tap my foot to get to sleep. When I talk I have always confused people by skipping topics seemingly erratically. I would have been thinking over things for the 5 minutes I was quiet, and then start talking as if they would know where I'm up to with my train of thought. I'm sure the choice of topics on this blog is a bit scattered. Can't tell left from right, Doesn't finish what she's started. Has trouble making and keeping friends. Has runny nose. (I had sinus until I gave up wheat as an adult) is imaginative, impatient, dark circles under her eyes. Has food sensitivities. I always had stomach aches as a child, but I was a picky eater. I ate mostly wheat products, and milk. While talking with someone, their mind may wander until they come back to the conversation and realize they've missed half of what was said.
Now I am not saying I am or was ADD. Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't, but I think I will find it a lot easier to relate to someone, who just thinks that what is going on in their head is more interesting than whatever is going on around them. I can also see some of the behaviours in these books that would be similar to my son, who is very reluctant to socialise with other people in new situations. He often does not reply to someone who says hello or goodbye to him, and wont make eye contact with them. Hopefully I can learn some tools that will help him to learn to be comfortable socialising.
Am feeling tired this afternoon after two days of theme parks with the kids, but D is cooking so I can sit and read for a little while.
No comments:
Post a Comment