Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Not chosen persality types but genetically defined?

I couldn't keep focused enough to read Piaget, so I don't know how I think I will make sense of this, but lets have a crack at it. Ok. Jung's personality types. Sensory vs Intuitive. From what I am reading this is very much to do with frontal lobe development. It seems to be also details vs concept, again a wiring issue. When we draw a cat we draw our concept of a cat, an iconic image, even if it is in front of us we still modify to fit our mental concept. A details sensory person see's a curved claw, a furred paw, a bent limb, a whisker pad etc. Someone with ASD has difficulty taking these details and creating a concept. And someone without has difficulty seeing the details instead of the concept. This is why an art class will require you to turn a picture upside down to draw it, or use the negative space. Then we see details because it is harder for our brain to make the image fit a concept. We can't do both though because seeing the concept takes away from the details and vice versa. An injury to the concept part of the brain can result in improved detail clarity. just as a newly blind person will find their hearing improves. If the program for sorting information into generalized categories gets turned off and we are inundated with sensory perceptions. Some people must just be wired to use more or less of these parts of the brain.
The other new bit of info for me was about the thinking vs feeling. All action and decision is driven by emotion. Emotions relating to objects and tasks. (thinking) or emotions relating to people and relationships (feeling). I think it was a speech pathologist writing about the language used from one type of child to label objects compared to language used to describe feelings. Which comes first the language (and mental capacity for a certain type of language) or the type.
Also if there is a predisposition for men to be T and there is a genetic reason for this, then society rewarded this way of judgement, then selective breeding would result in more men like this. There is also an imbalance of boys with ASD to girls. Is there a genetic reason for men to be T not F relating to the language part of their brain, and that survival of the fittest required this trait, so overselected for it, resulting in more boys being born with impairment to their social function? is there a gene that is sometimes found in women that causes them to be more T and this also makes them more susceptible to ASD. Lots of grammar mistakes I'm sure, but the ideas are out of my head now so I can go watch tv and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment