Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Motivation to socialise

Teaching independence has always been my goal for my kids. Now I need to teach dependence and interaction. With my kids, I try to find ways to keep them entertained on their own, without needing to come and get me every 10 minutes. With ASD, I am making sure all of the games I suggest, require another person to make it fun. Then the child will seek out people instead of playing alone all day. I need to make sure they have success, when they make an attempt to communicate in any way, so they will repeat the effort. That is how I will teach motivation. I am attempting to speak slower, and not ask questions I don't expect an answer to. I have also been learning a couple of basic signs to start to introduce. I have borrowed the book from the library, so I will record the signs when I learn them, to help me remember. My kids are keen to learn to so we can use them together. It was helpful to play with Ava yesterday with these developmental ideas in mind. She can make requests(even if only with a point and a grunt sometimes) and expect a response, use language to respond (do you want this? "yes" "no"), understand sequence,(do this, then get that), ask questions, watch my face for cues, and is learning to take turns. She loves having someone to play with. She even tolerated me refusing to carry her when I was doing something else, after a couple of tantrums proved ineffective.
More reading today after lunch. I have Aurora home from school today, as she passed out while I was examining her ears this morning. Just needs to dry behind them better, but she must have been worried it was worse. So terrible to watch though. Must have been scarier for my mum because she didn't understand it when I used to do it. Over to my sisters tonight for our tuesday dinner. I am taking food to her this time since she has just come home with her newborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment