Saturday, October 10, 2009

All dogs have ADD

I can't find the exact reference in Animals in Translation, but Tempe mentions that some dogs need a job. Certain breeds like cattle dogs and sheep herding collies, or sled pulling huskies, can't be left in a small house as a companion with out a job to do, or they go a little stir crazy. They might dig, or chew things or run away, generally misbehaving. The trick is not to punish the dog, but give it a job. I know that at the welfare league, they have an interview process for dogowners to assess whether they would be able to provide the dog with a good home. For certain breeds this would require a decent yard and physical activity. I think this theory would well be applied to children with ADD. If we put them in a confined space without the opportunity to use their active minds, should we punish them for being distracted and fidgety and talking? I think we need to give the same care and thought to keeping the mind of the child with ADD stimulated. Have classes whose teachers naturally spend more time in active learning instead of behing desks, and interview the children and parents to find out their learning style before putting them in a class. Some students learn best by rote, some by getting their hands in. Why not accomodate them some. Still aim for the same learning outcomes but via different paths. I will have to find that website for adults with ADD, that helps them harness the talent they have for creative thought and multitasking. I got a book called all dogs have ADD that helps kids understand some of their behaviours and quirks. Very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment