Monday, May 31, 2010

Differing Philosophys

Today was the first day working with D again, after he and his mother had been sick for a few weeks. In that time, she has had a consultation with a Speech Therapist, who has given her a few more things to think about. I get the impression though, that this therapist does not like ABA.
D's mum mentioned a few of the critisisms that were made. That ABA does not address language, and that some of the requirements were cruel. I am sure that is valid of some programs, but hopefully not ours. She uses Floortime, which is a child directed, play based therapy. I am hoping that she is happy to work with us, as I would like to learn some of her methods. I don't want my experience to be too narrow. Neither of the supervisors I work with, focus much on sensory issues. There was mention of a sensory diet, to be worked out by the OT. That is essentially a schedule of sensory input, to help the child remain calm and clear. She is also introducing PECS, so I need to train in that, since she doesn't want anyone using it untrained.(understandably)
I like that she has high standards of what she wants in place for D, but I'm hoping her ideas don't become the cause of conflict. I don't know enough to evaluate the superiority of one program over the other. I do think it would be cruel to withhold something the child wants, if they were unable to meet the criteria. The things I usually stand my ground on(even if the child protests), are the participation, effort and attending. As long as I am doing my bit and making it rewarding. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a child to look at me, as a request, even if no sound comes out. Initially children will resist this, until they understand what I am asking/expecting. In Floortime, an expectant look is sometimes all that is required on a childs behalf, in a circle of communication. It also helps a child learn by imitation if they can look at me. It is a "learning to learn" skill. Being able to sit for a short period of time, is a "learning to learn" skill. Not screaming or hitting out is a "learning to learn" skill. Teaching all these without the kid even knowing that I am teaching.......even better. D is naturally very good at all his visual skills, now after a few sessions, he is learning to pay attention to my verbal cues. He is doing this because he wants to join in, and it makes it easier to get the prize, whether it be tickles, dancing, bubbles or chocolate.
There may be a possibility down the track, for me to do some work with C as an aide in his new school/care group. At the moment, my time with S would conflict, but once her mum is ready to continue on her own, I could do that. Always something new to learn around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment