
Have been sticking to my commitment to get more photos of the family these holidays. I will try to print some out for my kids too. They both like tangible things. This is my son learning to use his snorkelling gear that he got for Christmas. The first day was a bit of a failure. The rubber pulled his hair and pinched his face, he sucked up water through his nose and water got into his eyes. I sort of half drowned him when I thought he was laughing and it was just muffled crying through the snorkel full of water. He didn't think to use his hands to just take the goggles off in his panic. I have always pushed them to try again though, and he knows enough not to argue with me about it. The following day, I shaved his hair a lot shorter at the back, resized the mask and promised not to touch him, so he could go at his own pace. Success! He loves being able to stay under the water for great lengths of time. As an introvert, I loved the solitude of being underwater. The sound is muffled, so you can be alone even on a crowded beach or pool. His sister was a bit left out though. They would normally play together, but he was so absorbed in his new skill. She really wants a set so we will go shopping with her Christmas money to buy her a set with a narrower mask. She used Jaiden's without too much trouble, but a little more water gets in through the sides.
I also taught Jaiden the rules of chess, with his new games board. He needs someone his own level though as it is disheartening for him to play against me and his sister doesn't know the rules enough yet. While he was upset at losing again I think it was good for him to feel how his little sister must feel when he beats her, and sometime gloats a little too much. I make an effort to point out what other moves he could have made, and which pieces of mine he had the opportunity to take, but I don't dumb down my game. Hopefully it will be much more gratifying when he beats me. I found a website for kids to learn chess and I don't doubt that he has the brain to be able to win a game against me in the not too distant future. The website will allow him some wins in the meantime though.
Today we are going to Movie world to see the set of the Dawn Treader. The latest installment of the Narnia series, which was shot more in studio, due to the huge number of ocean scenes. I am also going to see Kasey Chambers perform. She is an Australian country music singer. I like my kids to see live music, and this is included in the Movie world ticket that we have passes for. I don't have her most recent albums but I always love her performances.
Then we are going to see Avatar in 3D. Man these kids are going to be wiped out today.
Oh wow, it amazes me that anyone would brag about drinking then driving. When I lived in the US, I was aware of people having a couple of drinks before driving, but always while stating, "I'm fine to drive." They knew they shouldn't and tried to make excuses. After I moved to Canada, I found an entirely different culture around this issue. Every single time I was invited to party or go out for drinks, we discussed who would be the designated driver. That person did not drink one single drop of liquor the whole night. There may be people here who do drink and drive, but I guarantee they are not bragging about it. The peer pressure against it is heavy.
ReplyDeleteI think my perspective was skewed by the young age of my colleagues. Talking about being "off guts", "a write off" and "loose as" is a common way to describe their weekend. I have no other country to compare with, but binge drinking is alive and well in Australias youth culture.
ReplyDelete