Saturday, December 19, 2009

All is well.

My next day WAS better. I raided my kids toys to find some new and novel reinforcers. Out of them all he liked the thing that turns into a gremlin. The cute furry one. I made sillier noises, and made more of a sing song out of things, and I had chips to offer. I felt like we made more progress. I got some more data of his pretend play, which had me a little stumped before. I found a toy clothes dryer, and pretended to wash his shorts. I sung a song while they "washed" then took them out again. Yay he copied. Imitation is one of the first skills we work on in a program, as children with autism don't always pay attention to the world around them to learn things, until we teach them that it is worthwhile. I have an extra long session with him on Monday until his babysitter gets there to take over, so I am going to take my swimmers and have a longer break after lunch with him. Try to get some words out of him. Hope he likes splashing. Or maybe if I play drown, or blow bubbles or something.
I was worried about emailing Nina also, and I think I needn't have worried. I did my research and sent her a "found it" email shortly after. She was at a funeral so didn't get either till she got back and was happy that I had worked it out. She said he can be a little bugger sometimes but don't underestimate him. Why do I think everyone expects me to be perfect straight off? I usually make a good impression, and I am my own biggest critic. I have more hours than I need based on their comfort with my level of competence. So why the second guessing? Just my nature I guess. I am having a weekend off without worrying about Autism. I got lots of cleaning and shopping done today. I bought a new vacuum head that was my favourite purchase, the carpets are looking great. Plus if I didn't go back to the shops again I would be ok now just topping up at the local till after Christmas. All is good, now off to watch the carols by candle light on tv.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the next day was better. I'm finding your narratives very comforting and reassuring because what you have taken on is much scarier (to me) than teaching an English class. So if you can do THIS, well then... it gives me hope. Yes, we are our own worst critics, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one on one is less scary for me than having to look after a whole class. Groups are less my thing.

    ReplyDelete