Ramblings of an inquisitive mind, just trying to find my way around, and be honest with myself.
Friday, January 16, 2009
On my own two feet
After having my husband take care of all the bills and money for the last 5-10 years, I am slowly taking back responsibility. It would be easy to let him sort out this whole separation thing, from family services, to bank accounts, and splitting finances. In fact I think he feels he still needs to. I went down to the family services office to find out what forms I need and what I need to do. She asked me for my personal account that any parenting payments would come into, and I don't even know my own bank details, or have a card for it. That is todays job. I actually had to blink back a few tears sitting in the chair waiting for her to get me sorted out. It is weird to have to sign forms giving a date of separation. I guess it feels more real. I am coping as I always do, by focusing on the things that need to be done, and keeping busy, trying to organise things and be involved. I still feel bad for my husband, he doesn't deal well with change like this or trying to anticipate the future. The future always looks bleak for him. I want to help but I'm not sure that I can anymore, and I want to focus on looking after me, and finding my own way through it. I think that if I move out sooner and cut my losses with a few things I need, he will be easier able to see what he is left with and what he has to deal with. I have selfish reasons too. It is hard to be thinking of a life on my own while still sleeping in the same bed with him and knowing he is hurt too. I need to get my own head clear to go forward. Logistics first, heart later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, wow. My thoughts are with you as you navigate this strange time.
ReplyDelete