Days like today make me wonder if I made the right decision in leaving hairdressing. I was anxious before I left the house, and C was having a non-compliant day. None of my reinforcers were very reinforcing. He wouldn't match nicely and messed around with the pieces or wouldn't look at them. I wanted to shake him, or force him. It is hard working with only positive reinforcement. With my kids, I would have gotten cross and forced them to do as they were told. Dominated them I guess if needed. The most we do with C is the sitting until quiet thing. We did a LOT of that today. By the end of the session I only pointed to the chair, and he went and sat himself down. He knew that when I turned, or got up to go to him when he was not participating, that I was going to sit him down, and would raise his arms in protest. Neither of us enjoyed it. I have those days though, and then the next will be one where all goes really well, and I am excited by our progress. Also weighing on my mind with this decision though, is the money. I was on a good wage for a hairdresser, having reached the top of my field. I haven't quite worked out how to set myself up as a legitimate business yet. The parents don't hire me as an employer for the small number of hours I do. With multiple employers, I would pay extra tax on each family over the first one. I think I could set up as a contractor. I wonder if I would need to have a lot more credentials for an insurer to set me up though. I may not be allowed to operate in an official capacity, even though the parents are happy with my service. Any way, this means I have no income to declare to banks or real estate agents. My husband is out of work at the moment, which was not on the cards when I left the relative security of hairdressing. I have some money put aside as a fall back option. He is looking at some franchise options. One as a dog washer/groomer, and the other as a dog trainer. I believe the training is more in line with his aspirations working with animals than washing, also dog washing is more physical and may do his back in eventually. I think the business model of the washing, may be more secure, but I haven't looked into the other. Both require the same amount of start-up capital. If I was hairdressing still, this would be an easy option. I could take out a personal loan to cover it easy. But officially, I don't earn anything! Even unofficially, I only earn enough to cover my living expenses. Luckily it is the weekend now, and even with my brain chemicals a bit out of whack I should be able to get it together ready for Monday. I have two clients, and a meeting!
Behaviour is such a hard thing. Your behaviour is decided by your wiring and chemical make-up, and that can be affected by things outside your control. So when people bug me, I have to remind myself that it is their behaviour I don't like, and hope to rewire them. C's non-compliance is the result of a family trait, and the wiring that gave him his autism diagnosis. It's my job to help him practice being compliant, by making it fun to do so.
It seems to me that you are doing an awesome job at this. Working with autistic children must be one of the hardest jobs on earth, yet you have really good results most times. I hope your hubby can find something soon. It's a scary place to be in when both partners lose income at the same time.
ReplyDelete