
I am reading a book currently about bringing up geeks. I have only read the introduction actually, but it already got my thinking about my kids. Child number one is quiet, academic likes to talk to grown ups and do well in class. Child number two is sociable, talkative, likes to perform, is mature and understanding around other children. I don't think this is anything under my control. Popular kids (I was not a popular kid so this is not spoken from personal experience) are apparently more likely to engage in experimental or deviant behaviours, in order to keep their elevated status. They sucuumb more easily to peer pressure than their unpopular counterparts, and they're more willing to take behavioural risks in order to impress their friends. For this reason, the author discourages her kids to take the cool road, decided by the popular leaders, and follow their own interests. I acknowledge already, that there are going to be arguments with the kids (probably with Aurora, #2) about me treating them differently and having different rules. I lived through the experience of not being in the popular group. While never bullied or picked on, I never had a sense of belonging in any group. I would like to spare my son some of this. Obviously I have assumed my daughter will be popular if she chooses to be. I don't want her popularity to be at the cost of independent thought. Pack mentality does not always make for wise choices.
I encourage Jaiden to appreciate his quirks, but also like him to have a strong friend, who is a little more popular. I will probably always encourage him to participate in activities that help him fit in. While I love that Aurora is sociable, I don't want her to be so influenced by peers, media and consumerism that she fails to be the best she can be. She is also, according to the Myers-Briggs personlity tests, likely to experiment early with sexuality. I can see where they get that. She loves people, she likes hands on, she is independent and fearless. While my son is currently disgusted by the new discovery of "how babies are made", Aurora wants to know how she will know when she is pregnant, because she wants kids. She is always hugging and kissing. Is it too much to ask that they can be popular geeks? Can you be intelligent, with good values and a strong sense of self, and be popular in the school yard. I remember reading somewhere, from a parent of a teen with Autism (I think), that she didn't think it was important to teach her son to relate to other teenagers, when he already knew how to relate to adults. In the grand scheme of things how significant a skill is conversing with teenagers. On the other hand I remember learning in school about Maslow's heirarchy of needs. Sense of belonging is important, so I believe there is a need to at least find like minded-peers.
I think my wish for my kids is the middle ground. Likeable, but not pack leaders. I will cherish my sons quirks while teaching him social coping skills and helping him value his inner world. I will nurture my daughters friendly lovable nature, while reminding of the need for independent thought. I guess if I think of Jung's original idea of his personality traits it would be to create balance. Keep their strengths, and build up their weaker sides. Then those who matter, won't mind, and those who mind, won't matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment