First news this morning, was that one of my families won't require me on Tuesdays anymore. Her brother-in-law is going to do two therapy sessions a week with him, and Tuesday is one of those days. I almost took another family on last week when I suspected this would happen. I am pretty tight with money. I don't even like to spend my fake money on bejewelled(my current addiction) in case I waste it. The other consideration, is that my husband has finished working for the animal welfare league. He disagrees with some of the decisions made lately, and they don't like anyone questioning their authority. Instead, he is doing two days work privately with a mate on a property back up past Logan, and doing some car work on top of that. I am not too worried about this, but I like the seeming security of a regular job. The upshot of this, is that I emailed Nina, to see if she could still use me on the Southport program, which is not too far away. When I got back to her this afternoon, she said no, she had filled that, but that she was so excited to be able to use me with this new family up at Eden's landing. She kept talking, and I said nothing. I had decided that I wouldn't take that program because of the travel distance, and I didn't have the time anyway. When I emailed Nina I had just said "Sorry, but no I don't have the time in my schedule." She is not one to miss an opportunity, and now she knew I had the time. She had spoken to the mum, he can do a long program while my kids are at school." He has good eye contact and he is making efforts to speak." She was still talking, and I found myself just agreeing. So now I have a new family. With a long program I think I am going to set the day up like a preschool program. 1st session, then snack, then another subject, then lunch and play, another session and quiet time to end for the day. It will help me keep some routine and form to such a long session. I'll get some more guidance from Nina on that. She was all ready to throw me in tomorrow, but it was dinner when I spoke to her, so I said I would call the new family tomorrow, and organise to set up next week. I will push for the higher rate of pay, and the longer day to make the driving worthwhile. Now I just have to learn to say no, if those terms are unsuitable.
I still swing sometimes, between the need to stick this out, and even enjoying the work, to thinking I need just a regular job. I think any job I take, I will put all of myself into. It's me that puts the pressure on more so than any external factors. Almost all jobs involve other people, and that is my biggest hurdle.
Earlier today I looked into public schools that take in selective academic students. It looks like there are a couple of highschool options in Brisbane, and one for grades 10-12 on the Gold Coast. It is for students aiming to study in the health sciences, or research fields. I'm assuming the funds have been allocated to help build this work force within Australia. Kids can begin an undergraduate course with the affiliated university on the Coast to prepare them for enrollment in one of these courses. Jaiden is a very good student, and performs well. I think it can be hard in some schools to fit in socially, if the majority of students don't share the desire to do well. Apparently in the southern states there are more of the selective public schools. He is only in grade 4, but the main Brisbane school takes enrollments for grade 8(currently our first year of high school), while kids are in year 5.
I am going to try to get him to watch this with me on the Easter break. It was mentioned on the Eide Neurology Blog, as a thought provoking documentary about the way we teach our kids, and how much of it actually is learned. I think there is a science angle to it, so hopefully Jaiden is interested. It will be my way of getting some ideas for problem solving and abstract thought, the way they tried to do when Jaiden was put in to the gifted sessions at school last year. I need to do some more enrichment activities with him. Both of them really.
I am off to watch the biggest loser on tv, and eat chocolate. Sad really isn't it.
No comments:
Post a Comment