Thursday, March 18, 2010

Great day.

Another clinic today. I am really enjoying working with C with the new AP model. I think it works well for him. There is a big focus on the learning-to-learn skills. He needs to be able to sit, wait, comply, stop, listen, look. Then all the rest can come. Now I believe he probably had a lot of these with one of the previous therapists, but when I started, the program was quite advanced, and I didn't get to stop and cover these areas first. I didn't really appreciate that that is what was neccesary. Also because a lot of his program was language, but in a discrete trial format, his echolalia gave the impression he understood more. Really he was mimicking, and had learnt to survive the program this way. Once taken out of context he couldn't wing it, and so had behaviour/compliance issues. I enjoyed seeing how playing ball on the trampoline (one of the few places I see genuine enjoyment on his face), could be expanded to work on many other skills. I love the idea of being able to spend more of his time outside, playing like a normal kid, while gaining these skills. With his table work, now that we have established his capability to match, we can use that to extend the amount of time spent on each activity, and add things like waiting with quiet hands, and pointing.
Only a few weeks ago, he wouldn't even match two coloured cards together, despite having mastered matching earlier the previous year. C has started to participate in action songs. Even in previous video, the therapist I believe was most successful with him, would move his hands along to the actions. With such regular clinics there is less chance to get bored with his progress, or have his progress stall. Behaviour can change so quickly from week to week. I love that C enjoys sitting down to have a story read, and turns the pages. With the way the data is collected, there is no way for me to sit down the night before and prepare. I have to rock up, and assess the situation fresh each day. This is actually making his one of my least stressful programs, as far as my own anticipation anxiety goes. His mother is always very appreciative too.
I had an easy morning also with S, the little girl with very mild aspergers. I felt I didn't earn my keep for part of it, actually. The new program has me taking her out to activities organised by the local council. Mum drove us all there, and then the instructor led the kids for 45 minutes through warming up, running, and some ball skills, and swinging a bat. She went straight over, participated the whole time, looked happy and really enjoyed herself. There was really no need for me, except for the couple of minutes before they began while I pointed out another little girl for her to say hello to. I pointed out to Mum how well she was doing, even compared to the other "typical" children, who were shy, or wandered off to get a snack halfway. Before that I set up an obstacle course in their front yard. The idea is to get her and her little, just-turned-2 year old brother to play nice together. They played great and seemed to enjoy the activity. He really needs to be running around, to stay on task. Last week we did puzzles and he just wandered off. Tomorrow I want S and Aurora to trace each others bodies, I just need to find some big enough paper. If I can't find it, I will just tape together some newspaper, and use paint to decorate it. In fact, that might be a more resourceful idea. I should send her mum a message not to have her best clothes on. If we do that activity first, it might dry once they have their free play, and they can do some cutting. If I am really organised I can get some magazine pictures for collage. I think she would love to play with some scissors. I also saw an activity with a block of wood, and hammer, and nails. I think most kids would love to play with a hooked hammer, from a real tool box.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, we did that activity once when I was a child: tracing our bodies on paper. I just loved it!

    ReplyDelete