Saturday, January 16, 2010



The little kitten we have been looking after is going in to be desexed tomorrow. He has been our foster kitten since the week before Christmas so he is really settling in to our place. I am going to find it hard to send him back to the shelter with no assurances that there will be a family for him at the end. He is so smoochy, and laid back. I read about colours of cats and temperament, and he fits into the laid back black category perfectly. You can hold him under his arms with his legs just dangling and he doesn't care. Carry him like a baby, no worries. He follows me round the kitchen, and always jumps up if he sees me on the computer. We have two cats already though, and neither is on the lease. Each one adds to the catty smell in the house, as they are kept indoors. My daughter says he is her favourite. But if we keep him that makes us bad fosters, I think. We have conditioned him to regular handling, other cats, children, and dogs through the glass. He is an ideal new pet for a family with kids. If we send him back we can do the same for another kitten. The first 8-12 weeks are vital to domesticate a cat. Without enough handling they shy away from people and just don't get adopted. We can't foster dogs anymore, because one of "the boys" was getting jealous, and broke a tooth of our foster puppy. I think I see myself getting sucked into keeping the kitten though. I am the last thing standing between it. My husband has always thought it was a good idea.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, what a sweetie! I'm glad you keep your cats indoors. I finally learned the hard way that you just must.

    ReplyDelete