Sunday, December 7, 2008

Nurture or Nature

Ok. So I'm still stuck on this personality profiling. I need to read the work of Carl Jung that this particular model was based on. What I want to know I guess is was I born this way, or did I choose these preferences very early on in my life. If I was born with it, is it measurable in my DNA? Maybe a soul has a personality? If I chose it, can I change it? I have settled for the moment on INFP. While I don't perceive myself as completely original in thought, I definately look for meaning and connections in everything I take in. I evaluate which concepts and ideas to follow up on, based on how it relates to the big picture of humankind and people, even if I do so in a seemingly detatched way. I have always seen myself as a information gatherer. I'm drawn to clever quotes and plays on words. I find I understand things better by interpreting them, creating analogies and metaphors. I have been playing around with how all the different ways of categorising personalities overlap. Most of the others I have come across are based on four types.
Earth, Air, Fire, Water.
Driver, Analytical, Expressive, Amiable.
Intimidator, Aloof, Interrogator, Poor me.
I have written them as I imagine they would align. I would compare the dominant preference. I would place them
TJ NP SP FJ
By that reasoning I would still fit into the framework of an Analytical, Aloof, Air sign. Since my auxiliary preference is extraverted feeling I can express elements of Amiable, water sign, poor me, which is like my mother who is an FJ. My Husband would be a driver which has always been my assumption. My younger sister would be Amiable, but I found her hard to fit into one of those categories. Because I had always seen my mothers expressions of type as a weakness, despite my sharing the feeling preference, I couldn't see my sister who I admire, as being the same. I have realised lately I surrender a lot. I always try to avoid a confrontation. I often downplay my preferences. Just like I accuse my mother of doing. Feeling decisions has definitely been a blind spot for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment