Ramblings of an inquisitive mind, just trying to find my way around, and be honest with myself.
Sunday, February 7, 2010
I like me. No embellishments required.
I think I am over fashion and beauty. I haven't made an effort for hair or make up on myself for absolutely ages, where it used to be a daily thing. I caught sight of myself in the mirror in the shopping centre bathrooms, and despite having a completely bare face, I liked what I saw. I used to think I looked a little sick and washed out. So much of what I thought was important about the way I looked, was influenced by being in a hair salon, and even in there I was one of the most low maintenance girls. I wear shorts and a singlet almost every day, without wondering if they are in fashion, or the right cut. I don't open the blogs I used to read about fashion, or makeup. My hair goes unwashed longer than it used to, and gets scraped up into a ponytail instead of regular haircuts. I can't believe I was worried about not being able to get my Aveda product discount once I left. I almost stocked up on foundation. I haven't worn it since I walked out of the salon last. My next challenge will be to walk back into the salon, au naturale, and see if it brings out my self consiousness again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I used to feel a lot of peer pressure and pressure from my MOM, of all people, to wear a bit of makeup. But I never liked to. As soon as I moved to Canada and looked around at all the beautiful women not wearing any makeup, I felt I had finally come home. Now I only use a dab if I have a zit to cover, plus there is a bit of tint to my Burt's Bees lip balm. That's it. I find that most of the women whose company I enjoy are also not into fashion or makeup.
ReplyDelete