Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New job?

I have been tossing around career options in my head ever since my husbands psychic suggested I could find a job with more meaning. I must admit I am a bit over hairdressing at the moment, so this idea is appealing. She had talked about what a great place the animal shelter was for work, and that something like that would suit me perhaps. I don't really know the conversation first hand, but I know she made a comment about how long I would be in my current job. He's not meant to tell me though. I want to focus on my family at the moment, and my hours allow me to make the most of the part time parenting I am doing right now. I get paid well for a stylist, which isn't neccesarily well by other trades or professions, but better than if I worked for a little local place, I think.
This morning I decided to make the most of my last day of holidays by going for a walk on my own. There is an area of bushland across from the kids school that I had been meaning to check out. That was enjoyable, and I will have to return there again when it is not so wet, as the main pathway was flooded out. With that walk cut short, I decided to find another local walk, and found some boardwalks by a creek in another conservation area. Once I read the signs I realised there were heaps of walkways threaded in and around that park just over the creek. So more walks ahead. I saw a sacred kingfisher, which is a beautiful bird that you just don't see around all that often. Seeing an animal that is kept and tamed doesn't excite me as much as seeing it wild and free. That is one objection I have to working for the animal welfare league. Not that I don't think they do a great job, and I wouldn't think of setting those animals free in the wild, they are domesticated. I guess maybe I am lumping them in with pet shops. They are not breeding them for pets but just saving them once they are born. I didn't like the idea of getting our dogs from a breeder when there are so many dogs that need homes more. I always resisted getting a cat from a breeder even though I like the look of certain breeds. There are always so many options at a shelter to choose from. And they desex all animals so that more aren't there. I thought maybe a job to do with wild animals or conservation might be suitable anyway. Getting off track there. Combining my love of walking and conservation with education maybe. Showing people why they need to look after our wild places and animals, or helping out with revegetation. I looked up the currumbin sanctuary which has a course to teach people how to help out there. A lot of travel involved though and would probably need more than that to get a job as an attendant or educator, when they have biologists. That's one train of thought to follow anyway. I was still thinking a carer job might be good. It's tempting just to get a job in a little salon walking distance from home and not challenge myself. I have to remember to allow things to happen and just look out for the opportunities as they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment