Monday, November 3, 2008

Allowing myself to wish

I have resisted posting, because I have been wishing for things I think I may never have. Or that I think I shouldn't wish for. If I keep thinking like that then I never will have them.
I wish to dance again...with someone . I dance around the house of course, but I want to dance with someone. My husband just doesn't, and so I haven't. I want to swim ....with someone. I go to the beach 2 or 3 times a month, and I love to go out past the breaking waves and float about and swim over the swell. It is probably my favourite thing to do. I would love someone to share this with. My husband doesn't swim. He sometimes wades, but he doesn't swim. I have been waiting for my kids to get old enough, and hopefully share my passion for the waves. I would also love to learn to surf. I've never been sporty or overly coordinated, but I think I could give it a go. I think I want to go out and socialise more also, with smiley upbeat people.
What I heard, when I got my husband to speak about us, is that neither of us can fulfill every need of the other. We love each other deeply, and we want to try to find a way that both of us can be happy at the same time. So I want all this, but I want him to want it too. I guess I want him to be all these things, and this is what the struggle has been over the years. He has tried to meet all my needs, but none of it is really him, and then neither of us is happy. I am reluctant to give up any of my dreams, but I don't want him to miss out on his.
Now that we have acknowledged that we need more than each other, I hope to be able to do some of these things on my own, without feeling guilty about not doing it together. I will also aim to not be jealous of the connection he has with other people, who are meeting needs that I am not capable of fulfilling.
I have been invited to housesit my sisters house near the water after Christmas for a few days. My husband has a houseguest from Canada staying from the 10th of December until New Years, so I will give them a few days to do boys stuff, while I have a seachange with the kids. Or they can join me there. My hubby doesn't seem too excited about me spending time elsewhere. I almost turned the offer down, because I thought he wouldn't like the idea. We've rarely been apart overnight in 12 years, but it might help us appreciate each other a little more.
Having said all that, I think we have been getting along well. I am much more hopeful, since we spoke, that we are going to be able to stay together. I had been keeping part of myself back for the past year or so. I guess the idea was to keep a distance and protect myself in case it didn't work out, but if I had kept on that way I would have only ensured that we fell apart.

1 comment:

  1. I like the image you created in my mind: "smiley upbeat people." I like being around those sorts, too.

    It's true. Your mate can't be your whole world or satisfy all those needs. It's so healthy to have friends to do some things with and also to do some of them alone.

    I hope you find a way to share dancing and swimming soon.

    ReplyDelete