Got a call from Nina, (The psych in charge of my ABA programs) She wanted to say how well she thinks I'm doing, and to let me know she has big plans for me! Yay! Already! In the new year she wants to set me up to be able to train parents how to do the PRT (Pivotal Response Training) themselves. PRT uses a more naturalistic environment, and tries to utilise naturally occuring opportunities to learn. When you find something the kid really wants, use that motivation to encourage learning. Adapt your language and the environment to stimulate spontaneous interaction. I just finished readin Nanny 911 to get some ideas on behaviour interventions on normally developing children. Mostly because I think the biggest first step in A's program is setting him some boundaries and pushing him to achieve more. A lot of the Nanny 911 job is educating the parents to be consistent and firm, but loving. The children fall into line once the rules are known. Since most Autistic children like patterns and routine, this should be of help. Adding the "train the parent" element to this job would be the ideal tweak to make it really suit my favoured ways of working.
So much work to do today though. I am getting the last of my stuff out of the apartment. It is stinking hot out there, and I want to get this place organised into some semblance of a home by this afternoon too. All this while getting the kids from school, letting in the electrician, and organising some food for dinner and picking up a book from the library. So I better get cracking.
Congratulations. It is so gratifying when others recognize our gifts and support, encourage and promote!
ReplyDelete