Thursday, August 7, 2008

Limiting beliefs

I may be changing a lot of my beliefs this year. In the interest of being completely honest, I have been making myself read both sides of the argument on a lot of my strongly held beliefs. Hopefully I can apply personal experience and rationalism to what can be emotional subjects for me. Like health. On the way to work yesterday I had really bad pain. I have suffered from menstrual pain since my teens, and still take an anti-inflammatory or two every month to get by. Yesterday I had no stash and was unprepared. It made me think about some of the things I wrote in my previous post. I guess I have the belief that I can fix everything with diet and lifestyle. If I have pain or sickness it's because I haven't been eating good enough for long enough or some such idea. It has made me biased against medicine for any reason other than injury. This includes immunizations, an cancer screening and treatment, antibiotics, cough medicines, hormone replacement, pretty much the whole deal. Maybe I can't fix everything. Maybe this is a belief I have to change. I have been reading a webpage called ratbags that I found. It deals with the lack of science behind a lot of anti-immunization fears. Neither of my kids are up to date with their shots as I swing back and forth on which side of the fence is safest for my kids. The author gives a more rational explanation than just saying "you can't prove it so it's wrong", which I hear on other so called science based forums. It gets hard to sift through the information when anyone can selectively choose quotes and statistics that promote their cause. Someone with an autistic child wants answers, this can be as much of a conflict of interest as money making. Emotions are powerful things. A quote I keep coming back to is " would you rather be right or happy?" I tend to like to be right, even if it means depriving myself of things or making my life more restrictive or fearful, but sometimes being wrong would be a relief. Things I'd like to be wrong about. Water shortages, climate change, the medical system, government conspiracies, wheat flour being bad for me. So if I change my beliefs, and my beliefs change the way I perceive the world, hopefully the world is going to seem like a better place after I work all these things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment